Canada is known for its family-friendly immigration policies that allow Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their loved ones for permanent residency. If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and want to bring your spouse, common-law partner, dependent child, parent, or grandparent to Canada, you can apply for family sponsorship.
Who is eligible for family sponsorship?
To be eligible for family sponsorship, you must meet the following requirements:
- You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You can financially support your family member(s) for a period of time after they arrive in Canada
- Your family member(s) meet the eligibility criteria for immigration to Canada, including passing medical and criminal background checks.
Who can you sponsor?
You can sponsor the following family members:
- Spouse or common-law partner
- Dependent child
- Parent or grandparent
How long does it take to process a family sponsorship application?
- Processing times vary depending on the type of application and the location of the immigration office processing your application. On average, it takes about 12 months to process a family sponsorship application.
In conclusion, family sponsorship is a great way to bring your loved ones to Canada and reunite with them. It is important to ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements and follow the application process correctly to increase your chances of success.